National
Model Search
Select Category
National
Mandolins previously produced in Los Angeles, CA between the mid-1920s and the mid-1930s and in Chicago, IL between the mid-1930s and 1969.
John Dopyera developed the resonator that made National famous. National was formed in 1925 with George Beauchamp, and Dopyera's brothers. They started making banjos and guitars. In 1928 their first mandolins emerged on the market. The mandolins were similar in style to their guitar counterparts.
National ran into financial issues as well as many other internal problems during the 1930s. In the mid 1930s, National merged with Dopyera's new company, Dobro. In 1936, National/Dobro moved to Chicago, Il. Mandolin production ceased in 1940, and never started again. National was reorganized in 1943, as the company "VALCO." Valco lasted until 1967, when Kay bought out Valco, but Kay/Valco went under themselves in 1968/69.
A few instruments have appeared with National and Valco on them that were made in Japan, but no mandolins have shown up. Information courtesy Bob Brozman, The History and Artistry of National Resonator Instruments.

From Blue Book Publications:


No part of this information may be reproduced in any form whatsoever, by photograph, mimeograph, fax transmission or any other mechanical or electronic means. Nor can it be broadcast or transmitted, by translation into any language, nor by electronic recording or otherwise, without the express written permission from the publisher.