MAGNATONE
Model Search
Select Category
MAGNATONE
Instruments previously built in CA circa mid-1950s through late 1960s.
Magnatone is more recognized for their series of brown and gold amplifiers produced during the early 1960s than the company┬┤s guitars. Magnatone was originally founded as the Dickerson Brothers in Los Angeles, California circa 1937. The company began building phonographs, lap steels, and amplifiers. In 1947, the company was known as Magna Electronics. By the mid-1950s, they were offering electric Spanish hollowbody guitars designed by Paul Bigsby. Like Standel (and the early years at Fender), Magnatone wanted a guitar line to offer retailers.
In 1959, Magna Electronics merged with Estey Electronics (which was run by Roy and Ken Chilton). The guitar line was redesigned by Paul Barth in 1961, and four different models were offered. Magnatone also offered Estey thinline electric guitars in the late 1960s that were imported in from Italy. Magnatone maintained showrooms on both coasts, with one in West Hempstead, NY, and the other in Torrance, CA. Source: Tom Wheeler, American Guitars and Michael Wright, Vintage Guitar Magazine.

From Blue Book Publications:


No part of this information may be reproduced in any form whatsoever, by photograph, mimeograph, fax transmission or any other mechanical or electronic means. Nor can it be broadcast or transmitted, by translation into any language, nor by electronic recording or otherwise, without the express written permission from the publisher.