DITSON
Model Search
Select Category
DITSON
Instruments previously manufactured in Boston, MA from 1865 to the early 1900s and in Nazareth, PA between the mid-1910s and early 1930s.
The Oliver Ditson Company, Inc. was formed in 1835 by music publisher Oliver Ditson (1811-1888). Ditson was a primary force in music merchandising, distribution, and retail sales on the East Coast. He also helped establish two musical instrument manufacturers: The John Church Company of Cincinnati, Ohio, and Lyon & Healy (Washburn) in Chicago, IL.
In 1865, Ditson established a manufacturing branch of his company under the supervision of John Haynes, called the John C. Haynes Company. This branch built guitars for a number of trademarks, such as Bay State, Tilton, and Haynes Excelsior.
Ditson later had Martin build guitars for them as sort of a House Brand. Martin built guitars for Ditson from circa 1916 to 1930, and Ditson is credited for requesting the first dreadnought-sized guitar. Ditson became Martin's largest client as they produced thousands of instruments over the years. Source: Tom Wheeler, American Guitars and Teja Gerken, Acoustic Guitar Magazine.

From Blue Book Publications:


No part of this information may be reproduced in any form whatsoever, by photograph, mimeograph, fax transmission or any other mechanical or electronic means. Nor can it be broadcast or transmitted, by translation into any language, nor by electronic recording or otherwise, without the express written permission from the publisher.